The first building designed exclusively for a high school in Tupelo was dedicated on March 6, 1914. The two-story brick and stone building consisted of 10 classrooms and a large study hall. Dressing rooms were available for basketball and football. During the dedication ceremonies, a large flag was given to the school by Leake and Goodlett Lumber Company.
Steady growth in Tupelo’s population within 10 years prompted the need for a larger high school. The two-story building built in 1914 was demolished to make room for a new building. Referred to in the Journal as the most magnificent building in the state, the school opened for occupancy on November 26, 1927. The new high school had an auditorium with a seating capacity of 1,000 and a library.
Groundbreaking ceremonies on May 21, 1959, marked the beginning of another relocation for Tupelo High School. Standing on a ridge to the north of the Lee Acres in the southwestern part of the city, it opened for classes on September 5, 1961. Dr. W. D. McCain of the University of Southern Mississippi delivered the keynote address and State Superintendent of Education Jack Tubb brought greetings from the Mississippi Department of Education.
The fourteen-building campus which now resides on Cliff Gookin Boulevard opened in 1992.
Tupelo High will be celebrating its 100-year anniversary during the 2013-2014 school term.