BASKETBALL: Tupelo Lady Wave basketball (15-1, 1-0) retained their No. 9 Clarion-Ledger ranking despite losing their first game of the season two Saturdays ago. They opened Division 2-6A with a solid win over Hernando Friday and completely demolished Aberdeen yesterday. The Golden Wave (10-8, 1-0) currently rides a three-game winning streaking with recent wins over Hernando and Aberdeen. Both squads will continue with division games this week when they travel to Batesville Tuesday and host Grenada Friday.
SOCCER: No. 3-ranked Lady Wave soccer (11-1, 2-0) suffered their first loss of the season at No. 6 Clinton Friday night. They quickly turned around and defeated No. 10 Germantown and No. 4 Brandon yesterday at Germantown High. The No. 4 boys (9-0-2, 2-0) remain unbeaten after tying with Clinton Friday, and defeating Germantown and No. 3 Brandon yesterday. Both teams will host division rival Grenada tomorrow (Monday), travel to Hernando Tuesday, and travel to Madison Central Friday. Madison Central’s girls are ranked No. 5, boys are No. 2.
BOWLING: Lady Wave bowling (5-1) defeated first-year DeSoto Central at Southaven Tuesday 8-0. High games came from Ellye Gafford (166), Caitlin Gardner (159), and Patrice Sharp (158). Addison Gable finished with a high series of 452. The boys (5-1) defeated DC 5-3. High games included Cody Chambers (277), Jake Houston (226), Marcus Robinson (217), Drew Turberville (208), Clayton Horton (201), and Eli McCaleb (201). Jake Houston took the high series with a 628. Both teams return to the lanes tomorrow (Monday) when they’ll travel to New Albany and battle West Union.
BLANKETS OF THE WEEK:
- Junior forward Braxton Thomas powered her team to a division win over Hernando Friday with 24 points and 13 rebounds.
- Sophomore forward EJ Fuller had 14 points and six rebounds in Tupelo’s win over Aberdeen.
- Freshman midfielder Lexi Pund, having never started a Varsity match, scored the game-winning goal versus No. 4 Brandon Saturday.
- Senior forward Chase Cernigliaro scored three goals last week; one versus Clinton and two versus Brandon.
- Junior team anchor Addison Gable bowled two strikes in Game 2’s 10th frame of the Lady Wave’s win over DeSoto Central.
- Junior Jake Houston and Senior Marcus Robinson each bowled a 600 series and led their individual squads to wins over DC.
As always, follow @tbradenbishop or @TupeloHigh for Tupelo High sports updates and pertinent information regarding all Tupelo Golden Wave athletics. themblankets.com is also on Facebook. Be sure to Like us.