FOOTBALL: On to the 2nd Round. Last week, Tupelo (11-1) defeated Warren Central 20-17. Senior kicker Reed Bigham hit the game-winning FB with only seconds left to catapult the Golden Wave. This week’s game is the first 2nd Round playoff game for Tupelo since 2007 (THS lost to South Panola 28-21).
Trent Hammond’s team now prepares for a 3-hour drive to long-time rival and 1-6A, 1 seed, Madison Central. The Jaguars defeated DeSoto Central 38-18 last week. If THS wins, they’ll host the Starkville-South Panola winner next Friday for 6A North Half. As always, the game will stream LIVE at www.goldenwaveathletics.com.
BASKETBALL: Lady Wave basketball (2-0) opened 2013-2014 in impressive fashion with dominate wins over West Point and Mooreville last week. Coach Matt Justice’s team now looks to host Shannon Tuesday and travel to the Oxford Shootout Thursday (vs. Olive Branch at 5:30 p.m.), Saturday (vs. Cleveland/Lafayette at 4 or 7 p.m.), and Monday (TBA).
Jeff Norwood’s Golden Wave boys (1-1) lost a tough one to West Point but dominated Mooreville. They also look to get their second win of the season as they host county rival Shannon Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
SOCCER: Lady Wave (1-0) and Golden Wave (1-0) soccer swept Saltillo last Thursday in their season-openers at Ballard Park. The teams will travel to Pontotoc Tuesday and host their annual tournament Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. See the schedule below for teams and times:
BOWLING: Susan Dudley’s teams swept East Union in their season-openers Friday. The varsity teams will host Hardin County, Tennessee at Rebelanes tomorrow at 4 p.m.
BLANKETS OF THE WEEK:
- Junior nose guard Jamal Wren had 5.5 tackles (two sacks, two tackles, one tackle for a loss, and one assisted) in Tupelo’s 20-17 win over Warren Central.
- Freshman center back Hannah Ellis stepped up for Lady Wave soccer last week, and played with poise and maturity in their win over Saltillo.
- Senior midfielder Forrest Timmons had one goal and two assists in Tupelo soccer’s win over Saltillo.
- Junior bowler Clayton Horton had a series-high 558 and a 186 average for the week.
- Sophomore bowler Taylor Russell had a series-high 576 and a 186 average for the week.
As always, follow @tbradenbishop or @TupeloHigh for Tupelo High sports updates and pertinent information regarding all Tupelo Golden Wave athletics. themblankets.com is also on Facebook. Be sure to Like us.